Lady Gaga brings anti-bully crusade to the White House

Posted by Johan on Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Lady Gaga visited the White House today to chat about anti-bullying campaigns with the Obama administration. What went down?

Lady Gaga

Just a day after winning the Hero Award from the Trevor Project, Lady Gaga is back at work -- but not on the stage. The "Marry the Night" singer headed over to the White House to discuss her anti-bullying crusade with the Obama administration.

"Lady Gaga is a source of strength for many young people who feel isolated and scared at their schools. Today, I had the opportunity to welcome her to the White House, where we discussed ways we could work together to make sure that no child comes under attack, regardless of his or her race, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other factor," wrote White House senior advisor Valerie Jarrett in a White House blog post.

Lady Gaga's love life is full of "Bad Romance" >>

"Lady Gaga has described this cause as a personal one -- she has said that as a child, she was often picked on for being different. I am deeply moved by the way she has used her story, and her success, to inspire young people and shine the spotlight on important issues."

"As we continue protecting our children, we look forward to working with Lady Gaga, the Born This Way Foundation and with every American who is willing to help make our society more kind, inclusive, and equal."

While President Obama was not at the meeting, Lady Gaga already had a chance to meet him. She attended a fundraiser for his reelection campaign earlier this year.

Lady Gaga once described her own brush with schoolyard bullies, "The boys picked me up and threw me in the trash can on the street, on the corner of my block while all the other girls from the school were leaving and could see me in the trash," she said in her MTV special Lady Gaga: Inside On the Outside.

"It didn't sink in with me how bullying affected me until later in my life. I knew that it affected me deeply but it wasn't until a little bit later that I realized how much it affected me and how much it was still very present."

Image courtesy Michael Carpenter/ WENN.com

07 Dec, 2011


--
Source: http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/849153/lady-gaga-brings-anti-bully-crusade-to-the-white-house
~
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment